Friday, April 11, 2014

Sound Recording (Blog #9)

The overall experience of recording sound was interesting. Since we weren't getting very specific sounds, us students had the creative freedom to record whatever we wanted to. I know the official assignment guidelines said for the groups to record sound together as a group, but my group was a bit tricky this time around. First, our DP had dropped the class, so our group was narrowed down to just Chic, Michael, and myself. Which wasn't overly a problem, since a DP wouldn't exactly be doing the normal job of a DP.

As director, I wasn't exactly sure how to approach this project. I thought that we should all assist with the sound recording, as in, each group member getting their own time with the H4n and record sounds. I figured with all of us putting in input, we would be getting plenty of sounds to choose from. And luckily, we didn't break the 30 minute limit, but the combination of 25 sound effects, 10 voice-based, and 5 ambient sounds didn't quite meet the 10-minute mark.  First, Mike and I went to Sharky's Game Room in the Fischer Union and recorded some sounds of billiards. The next day, Chic took the sound recorder and got some noises from his work place, a copy shop. Then Mike took the H4n and recorded a few voice-based sound effects. And finally, I had the H4n last and recorded some sound effects and voice based ones.

But I feel our groups sound library was very diverse. We didn't have 25 sound effects from one general place. And after listening to the other sound libraries, I felt, for the most part, every group did that. But some had a majority of similar sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment