Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Documentary Reflections (Blog #5)

Overall, I think the interview shoot was a great success. My group and I interviewed Lori Erwin, who runs the haunted tours down at the Cotton Exchange. Lori had a lot to say about the Cotton Exchange and had even more to say about the history of the Cotton Exchange and all of it's ghost stories. She knows her history about Wilmington very well, especially for someone who wasn't originally from North Carolina.

As the Director of Photography/Camera Operator, I liked having Lori as an interview subject. She didn't move around a whole lot, she stayed in the same area of the frame most of the time. Which makes my job, as a camera operator, much easier. I don't have to keep following her with the camera, I was able to let the camera sit on the tripod and not worry a whole lot.

The Vox Pop interviews also went very well. We interviewed a total of four people. Two of them were shop owners at the Cotton Exchange, and the other two are citizens of Wilmington that frequently visit the Exchange. They were able to tell us about the Cotton Exchange and what they liked about it. They gave us some good shop recommendations and had some really good things to say about the place.

I shot all the vox pops handheld with a shoulder rig that I own. So I was able to have a very steady shot while our director, Sam, interviewed them.

Like I said earlier, the shooting was a great success. Now it's all a matter of going through the footage and editing it so we can hand it in on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment