Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Master Shot Sequence: Ideas (Blog #6)

The second, technically third, project in our Intro to Film Production class is shooting a narrative master shot sequence. For this, we were assigned new groups and new positions. I am the sound guy for this particular project. A little less ideal for me, as my favorite positions are DP and Director, but since I was DP on the last project, I won't be able to do that. But maybe get director for the next project. But I'm very good with sound. I've got plenty of experience with it.

So our professor posted a script, online, that we have to use for the master shot sequence. There aren't any stage directions, it's just dialogue. So the groups must come up with an interesting concept and come up with the visual style of the sequence. As we saw in class, there are many ways this script has been done. I suggested a few ideas to my group. Including:

  • Two surgeons having a conversation while operating on someone (hard to do with no budget)
  • The scene from Batman Begins where Bruce holds a stapler up to Gordon's head (not exactly creative, but would have been interesting)
  • And Sherlock Holmes talking to his brother, Mycroft (wouldn't fit their characters). 
Ultimately, our group came to the decision of doing a speed-dating sequence. We had some good ideas about making the sequence visually interesting. We're mostly basing the sequence off of a dinner scene from the movie American Beauty. But we are adding our own shots so that we are not copying the famous scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment